Democracy and political participation
This topic is now complete, you should be able to:
- Explain the nature of democracy
- Define & exemplify direct democracy
- Define and explain the use of referendums
- Describe representation & explain representative democracy
- Understand the nature & types of power, legitimacy, consent & authority
- Explain pluralist democracy
- Explain liberal, parliamentary & presidential democracy
- Describe & exemplify citizenship & political participation
- Analyse the differences between direct & representative democracy, including their relative merits
- Analyse why referendums have been used more often to resolve political issues
- Evaluate whether referendums are a good way of resolving issues
- Explain & exemplify how & why political participation has fallen
- Identify & explain way participation could be increased. How desirable are there proposals?
- How democratic is the UK?
- How representative is the UK political system?
- Explain & critically assess methods of making the UK more democratic